Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Jambalaya

After my first attempt at crock pot cooking I decided that it was a pretty good idea – and I probably wasn’t going to burn the house down. The next recipe up for trying was Slow Cooker Jambalaya, which I found on Pinterest (big surprise!). I couldn’t find andouille sausage at my neighborhood Walmart, so I substituted turkey sausage instead – still tasted great and less calories and fat! For my Cajun seasoning I always use Slap Ya Mama, which we discovered while living in Louisiana, but you can now get pretty much everywhere (I think). If you like a lot of rice, double the amount in the recipe or more. I doubled it and had enough for one night’s meal for two adults and two kids with a little left over. This recipe had the perfect amount of spice for me – not too much and not too little. Plus it was super easy!

Slow Cooker Jambalaya 3

Slow Cooker Jambalaya

Ingredients
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut up into small pieces
1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 cup instant rice

Directions
1. Place all ingredients except rice in slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.

2. Cook rice according to package instructions. Add rice, as desired, into each individual serving of jambalaya. Store rice separately from rest of stew.

Sources: Cats and Casseroles; All Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment