Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Crockpot Lime Chicken Tacos

Confession: I have never cooked a meal in a crock pot – until today. Seriously. I have owned a crock pot and I have used it for heating dips or soups at pot-lucks or parties. But I have never actually cooked a “meat included, veggies included, ALL INCLUDED” meal in a crock pot – until today.

I have been wanting to try it out for awhile now. First was all the hype with the Crock Pot Girls on FaceBook, which I “liked” but never actually tried any recipes. Then I started getting into Pinterest and saw lots of yummy looking crock pot recipes. So I finally decided to try one. Before taking the kids to school in the morning, I loaded the crock pot with the recipe ingredients and then I got nervous! I was worried about leaving the crock pot on while I was gone all day. All my FB friends promptly assured me that it would be fine, not burn the house down, and that I was crazy for not trying crock pot recipes sooner! I actually forgot about the meal while I was out running errands during the day. When I came home I first couldn’t figure out what the wonderful smell was – it was my crock pot happily cooking away! A super quick, easy and delicious meal was awaiting my family.

So the first recipe I made in the crock pot was Lime Chicken Tacos from Taste of Home. I found the recipe via Pinterest – duh. I was amazed at how easy it was to shred the chicken after it had been cooking all day. I also cut fresh lime wedges and sprinkled the fresh lime juice over the tacos for a little extra zing. The tacos were definitely a hit with the family and a hit with mom! The recipe was super easy and delicious!


Lime Chicken Tacos

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup chunky salsa
12 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and shredded lettuce, optional

Directions

1.  Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine lime juice and chili powder; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.

2.  Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Stir in corn and salsa.
 
3.  Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve in tortillas with sour cream, cheese and lettuce if desired.

Source: Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment